What should a student expect?
Provide Jump Start students with an extended orientation (Early Entrance Experience) allowing ease of transition academically and socially.
- The students will be provided academic instruction in math and English through workshops provided by Penn State Mont Alto faculty and staff. This programming is designed to bridge the ENGL 004 and MATH 004/021 summer module work to the start of the Academic Year Program.
- Academic and life skill enrichment experiences will be presented to the students through various sessions throughout the four day extended orientation. The material provided is selected to support the students’ academic and life skills enrichment for college success. Sessions are provided by the campus faculty and staff.
- The Jump Start staff will work with the Residential Life and Student Activities staff to provide social and campus networking activities in the evenings that will establish a sense of community among the Jump Start students as well as with the campus.
Sample Early Entrance Experience Agenda
The Early Entrance Experience begins the Wednesday before the fall semester begins. Families are given the opportunity to move their students into the residential halls while commuters may come the first day starting at the time of the Welcome Event. Both Thursday and Friday are full of activities including topics related to collegiate course expectations, campus resources and transition concerns, and evening activities. Saturday New Student Welcome activities are scheduled through the office of Student Activities. The Early Entrance Experience concludes on the Sunday before classes start with required afternoon activities. Jump Start students are required to participate in the Early Entrance Experience as a component of the Jump Start program. Attendance of both day and evening events are of the utmost importance for students to get the most out of their Jump Start experience and to obtain the PSU 008s course credit.
Move In Day Schedule
- 9:00 AM Move-In Residence Hall (Peer Mentors will be available to answer any questions.)
- 1:00 PM Check in with Jump Start Staff (Light Refreshments Provided)
- 1:15 PM Welcome Presentation
- 2:00 PM Breakout Sessions
- Parents: Jump Start Overview and Academic Expectations
- Students: Meet the Mentors
- 3:00 PM Parents Say Goodbye
- 4:00 PM PSU 008S Introductory Course: Arriving on Campus
- 5:00 PM Off Campus Social Activity
- 10:00 PM Return to Campus
Sample Early Entrance Experience Sessions
Campus Resources and Transition Concerns
- Colleges, Majors, and Classes…Oh My!
- Billing and Financial Aid
- Financial Literacy
- Cultural Diversity Activity
- Let’s Discuss Math Anxiety
- A Major Plan & Plan B
- The Learning Specialist and YOU
- College Life Management
- The Naked Roommate Mini Sessions
Collegiate Course Expectations
- Peanut Butter and Brainstorming
- The Mathematics of Grade Calculation
- Art of Conversation
- Hidden Rules of College: Faculty & Student Panel
- Geocaching the Campus with Res-Life
- Bowling & Wal-Mart Trip
- Movie and Game Night
- Cluggy’s and Target Trip
Meet Your Peer Mentor!
During move-in, Jump Start students will get their first opportunity to meet the Jump Start Peer Mentors in person. Once the student meets the mentors, they will begin connecting regularly through the Early Entrance Experience and academic year. Peer Mentors are highly involved in the Early Entrance Experience conducting sessions for the students and planning evening activities.
What should a student bring to campus?
There are some “must-have’s” as suggested by the Academic Support Center for EVERY college student to bring in order to be successful along with some suggested items.
- Highlighters (various colors)
- Notebook (one for each class)
- Folder (one for each class)
- Index Cards
- USB drive (extra)
- 3-hole punch
- Ear buds for lab computers
- Loose leaf paper
- Envelopes and Stamps