The Division of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) is committed to assisting you in learning more about academic requirements and resources you will need to be successful at Penn State. As a Penn State student, you are expected to take responsibility for your educational decisions, including:
- choice of major,
- choice of courses, and
- gaining knowledge of Penn State policies and procedures.
Use this page as a check-list to ensure that you're meeting all the requirements for a successful New Student Orientation.
Getting Started (Before New Student Orientation / Advising Day)
- Complete the online ALEKS Math Placement Exam and Educational Planning Survey.
- Beginning in March, student who have paid their acceptance fees will receive an email with information about how to go online and take the ALEKS Math Placement Exam. The exam will indicate the appropriate math and science courses for you to schedule. Transfer students may or may not be required to take the ALEKS assessment. All survey and tests must be completed online prior to being invited for an NSO Day during the summer.
- Select your NSO date and register for it.
- After you complete the ALEKS Math Placement Exam you will receive an invitation to register for New Student Orientation. Reservations will be available April 1.
- Certain degree programs conduct NSO on specific dates. If only one date is available in the system, you must select and register for that date.
- Complete your NSO homework / pre-work.
- Bring completed homework to your NSO Advising Day!
On NSO Advising Day
- Don't forget to bring your completed NSO homework assignment and your driver's license/photo ID!!
- Contact us via phone (717-749-6056) or email (email@example.com) if exceptional circumstances should require a change to your NSO advising day.
To-Do List (Next Steps after NSO)
- Submit your final high school transcript, any college transcripts or AP scores to PSU
- Financial aid
- Semester bills (A student's own bill is accessed through LionPath)
- Vehicle registration/parking permit
- Are your living arrangements and meal plan set-up?
- Learn about technology @ Penn State Mont Alto
- Buy books/course materials
- Submit required health information/forms
- Review the academic calendar
- Learn about getting involved on campus