Prepare for a career where business meets technology with a bachelor of science in information sciences and technology.
Information sciences and technology (IST) is video gaming, medical information, business management, and government security. It’s people coming together with the technology that we all use every day. With a degree in IST from Penn State Mont Alto, you’ll be prepared to meet the future challenges of the ever-changing world of technology.
Why Study IST?
As an IST major, you’ll have flexible options to focus your education and prepare for your future career. This includes the option to choose from two minors that will help personalize your degree to your specific interests.
Security and Risk Analysis (SRA) Minor:
Penn State Mont Alto also offers a minor in security and risk analysis (SRA). The minor is intended to familiarize students with the general framework and multidisciplinary theories that define security and related risk analysis.
Information Sciences and Technology (IST) Minor:
This minor is structured to provide students with the theoretical frameworks and skill sets necessary to compete and be productive in the information technology-intensive global context that defines the new "Information Age."
What You’ll Learn
IST courses cover a broad range of topics, including technology, programming, business, and project management. With an IST degree, you’ll be prepared for a variety of tasks and responsibilities including:
- determining how people use technology, at work or just for fun;
- taking information from businesses and analyze it to find solutions;
- creating and managing information systems to help industry and government agencies stop hackers, identity thieves, and other cybercriminals;
- keeping information from lots of places organized so that companies can keep moving forward;
- helping doctors and researchers use technology to manage information about diseases and helping hospitals and health insurance agencies keep track of patient information.
Sometimes students start in the Associate degree program, then continue their studies to complete the Bachelor's degree in IST. We're happy to talk to you about what makes the most sense in achieving your goals!
IST graduates go on to pursue jobs with employers ranging from software development companies to government agencies. An IST degree opens the doors to the following careers:
- web developer
- software developer
- IT project manager
- systems analyst
- human-computer interaction designer
- network administrator
- business consultants
For more information on potential career paths, visit the IST: Careers and Job Opportunities page.