At Penn State Mont Alto, a first-generation student is someone whose parent(s) did not receive a bachelor’s degree or a student who identifies as not having support in navigating the higher education process starting with applying for college.
Jump Start for First Gen eases the transition from high school to college by creating a close-knit learning community for first-generation students.
The program, which covers the entire first year of the university experience, is free for all participants and includes:
- An Early Entrance Experience for students, a multi-day program for both commuter and residential students
- First-Gen Friendly Common Courses
- Peer Mentoring
- Social programming throughout the first year
- The First-Gen Success Team to help you meet your first-year goals
By participating in Jump Start you will:
- Raise your level of academic preparedness before the start of the fall semester
- Ease your transition to college – both academically and socially
- Become more engaged in campus programming and activities
- Develop meaningful and supportive relationships with faculty, staff, and students
And, once a Jump Starter, always a Jump Starter; support does not end after the completion of your first year. The Academic Support Center will continue to provide course enrollment advising, tutoring, and academic support services during your time at Mont Alto.
You will remain connected to your fellow Jump Starters and the First-Gen Success Team during your time at Mont Alto, and many of the relationships forged in your first year will become lifetime friendships and mentorships.