Spanish for the Medical Professional is a course designed to help medical professionals communicate effectively through conversational competence at a basic level with Spanish-speaking patients in a medical setting.
By the end of the course, students will learn how to:
- Apply medical vocabulary in routine medical situations.
- Write simple memos and health-related reports.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of some Hispanic/Latino cultural medical practices and the patient-doctor dynamic and relationship.
- Describe signs and symptoms from the most common diseases in the United States
- Demonstrate basic skills to conduct a patient interview in Spanish
Program Scope and Sequence
Certificate and professional Continuing Education Units (CEUs) will be awarded upon successful completion of this course for RNs, PCHA, and ALA.
- Nursing Continuing Professional Development (RN): Successful completion of this activity can earn up to 20 contact hours from the Penn State Ross and Carol Nese College of Nursing. Penn State Ross and Carol Nese College of Nursing is approved as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the Pennsylvania State Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- Personal Care Home Administrators and Assisted Living Administrators: The Bureau of Human Services Licensing has approved this course for 6 CEUs toward the annual 24 CEUs of training. You must provide a copy of your PCHA and/or your ALA certificate and your completed evaluation prior to receipt of a certificate of completion.
Spring 2022 class dates coming soon. Classes will be facilitated via Zoom.
When: 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., January 24-April 4, 2022 (Mondays)
Location: Class is being offered via Zoom Technology
Cost: $1,025 (includes two years access to online learning system for Medical Spanish)
Register: Call 717-749-4117 for details.
Textbooks and materials: All online educational materials, including an eBook and four months of unlimited access to an online learning platform, will be provided.
Note: Students may purchase their own hard copy textbook for future use: Basic Spanish for Medical Personnel: 2nd Enhanced Edition. Ana C. Jarvis Houghton Mifflin Company. 2011. ISBN-10: 1285052188 / ISBN-13: 9781285052188
If you have any questions, please contact Roxann Miller at [email protected] or call 717-749-4117.
Meet the instructor
Gerardo Lazaro, Ph.D., CHI™
Dr. Lazaro is bilingual and multicultural and has earned his Ph.D. in public health. He is a certified health care interpreter, educator, and dynamic biomedical professional working to eliminate health care disparities while encouraging research and learning in collaborative environments. In addition, his academic development work includes the authorship of a textbook for basic medical interpreter training and a medical terminology workbook for medical interpreters.