Kira Hylton Hamman
M.A., Mathematics, 1999
B.A., Mathematics, 1994
- MATH 034: The Mathematics of Money
- MATH 036: Mathematics and Democracy
- MATH 140: Calculus with Analytic Geometry I
- MATH 140H: Honors Calculus with Analytic Geometry I
- PSU 8T: Honors First-Year Seminar - Modern Ethics
- STAT 100: Statistical Concepts and Reasoning
Faculty Scholarly Activities
- Hamman, K. (2019). Mathematics in Service to Democracy. In G. Karaali & L. Khadjavi (Eds.), Mathematics for Social Justice (19-22).
- Hamman, K. (2019). What Does 'Fair' Mean? In G. Karaali & L. Khadjavi (Eds.), Mathematics for Social Justice (193-205).
- Hamman, K., Piercey, V., & Tunstall, L. (2019). Numeracy and Social Justice: A Wide, Deep, and Longstanding Intersection. Numeracy, 12(1).
- Hamman, K., & Kung, D. The Power of Quantitative Literacy in an Era of Alternative Facts, Joint Mathematics Meetings, Baltimore, MD. (January 17, 2019)
- Hamman, K. Axiomatic Systems and Reverse Mathematics, Maryland-DC-Virginia Section Meeting, Richmond, VA. (November 3, 2018)
My first love is set theory, a branch of mathematical logic. More recent work has been in parts of recursion theory and the philosophy of mathematics.
Mathematics in Service to Democracy - July (3rd Quarter/Summer), 2019
What Does Fair Mean? - July (3rd Quarter/Summer), 2019
Herald-Mail - January (1st Quarter/Winter), 2019
Numeracy and Social Justice: A Wide, Deep, and Longstanding Intersection, Numeracy - January (1st Quarter/Winter), 2019
Curbing Catastrophe: Natural Hazards and Risk Reduction in the Modern World, Numeracy - July (3rd Quarter/Summer), 2018
A Numerate Life, Numeracy - January (1st Quarter/Winter), 2018
In Defense of the Numerate Citizen, Numeracy - July (3rd Quarter/Summer), 2017
Jurdak, Vithat, et al. Social and Political Dimensions of Mathematics Education, MAA Reviews - July (3rd Quarter/Summer), 2017
A Delicate Balance: Quantitative Literacy and Equity, Focus - December, 2016
Sustainable Energy: Without the hot air, Numeracy - June, 2016
The Language of Mathematics, MAA Reviews - June, 2016
Calculus and Zombies, Math Horizons - September, 2015
Why STEM Should Care about the Humanities, The Chronicle of Higher Education - April (2nd Quarter/Spring), 2013
One Person, One Vote: A Module for Quantitative Literacy, PCTM Magazine - January (1st Quarter/Winter), 2010
Against Assessment, Academe - September, 2009
MA, Mathematics, Dartmouth College
BA, Mathematics, Smith College