Resources for Veterans

The Penn State Mont Alto Veterans Center is located in The Spring House on campus.  Containing both study and lounge areas, the Vet Center is a great place for student veterans to study and gather.

Veterans Regional Office

Veterans Regional Office - Buffalo NY
130 S. Elmwood
Buffalo, NY 14202

Contacting the Department of Veterans Affairs:

Get a Written Answer to Your Question:

  • Go to the appropriate web site to request an answer
  • On the left hand menu, click on "Questions and Answers"
  • Click on "Ask a Question & Find an Answer
  • Click on the "Ask a Question" tab
  • Enter your e-mail address, select your benefit chapter, and enter your subject.
  • Type in your question. Be sure to include your full name and social security number or file number in the body of your message. Provide facts and be specific with your question.
  • Expect a written reply in three to five working days.

Call for a verbal response

  • Use the toll-free number 1-888-GI BILL 1 or 1-888-442-4551*
  • Press 1 if you have a touch tone phone
  • Press 1 for information on your MGIB-Active Duty or Selected Reserve Benefit.
  • Press 1 for the amount of your last payment and the date it was processed.
  • Press 2 for the date the VA mailed your monthly certification form (if mailed)
  • Press 3 for the date the VA processed your last monthly certification of enrollment
  • Press 4 for general information on your last education award
  • Press 2 for general information on other education benefits
  • Press 3 to find out how to apply for benefits or where to send your application

Franklin County, PA Office of Veterans Affairs

425 Franklin Farm Lane
Chambersburg, PA 17201
Fax – 717-263-1905

Veterans On-line Access to DD-214 and NOBE

Most veterans and their next of kin can obtain FREE copies of their DD Form 214 (Report of Separation) via on-line access through

To use the system, you must be:

  • A military veteran, or
  • Next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military. (The next of kin is considered: surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother.)

If you are not the veteran or next of kin, you must complete the Standard Form 180 (SF 180), "Request Pertaining to Military Records", which may be downloaded from the web site listed above.

To initiate a request for Military Personnel Records using the National Archives web site, click on the web page and the "Request Military Records" button at the bottom of the page. This will launch a separate window. You will then enter the required information in the system to create a customized request form. The form must be printed, signed and dated, then submitted via fax or mail.

(The Privacy Act of 1974, 5 U.S.C. 552a, requires that all requests for records and information must be submitted in writing.)


National Guard and Selected Reserve students should contact their unit of assignment, education office, or personnel office to determine the web sites where they can obtain copies of DD-214s and Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) forms. Each service component maintains a different system where students can find personnel documents which may be used to verify or substantiate eligibility for Veterans education benefits.