Penn State Mont Alto values sustainability and is actively working to incorporate sustainability into all aspects of campus life and work.
The campus strategic plan outlines the following strategies to give sustainability initiatives a consistent framework. The actual goal is to strengthen our commitment to sustainability. Each strategy is accompanied by supporting actions and their corresponding metrics.
LEARN: Increase Sustainability awareness at Penn State Mont Alto
- Incorporate sustainability issues into Resident Assistant (RA) training and Welcome Week (DSA)
- Teach sustainability, including by example, in coursework throughout the year (DAA)
- At least one workshop, training opportunity, activity, or program will be offered on campus each semester (DSA, SUST C)
- Use campus communications channels to publicize sustainability opportunities and successes, and reinforce Mont Alto's reputation as a leader in issues of sustainability, to both internal and external audiences. (SUST C, DPRM)
- Number and types of initiatives implemented through RA training and Welcome Week
- Number of different courses taught utilizing a component of sustainability
- Listing of programs developed to educate about and promote sustainability.
- Number and types of channels used for promotion, listing of news stories released, description of digital signage use
LIVE: Ensure that all facets of the Penn State Mont Alto community integrate sustainability into their practices.
- Identify obstacles to integrating sustainability into daily practice and implement best practices (SUST C)
- Create and implement routine programs that promote sustainability throughout daily or standard work (ADM C, SUST C)
- In addition to the Sustainability Committee, form Green Teams to increase the number of employees involved in sustainability efforts (ADM C, SUST C)
- When obstacles are identified, share information about solutions with campus to ensure universal ability to overcome.
- Listing of standard and ongoing work that implements sustainability
- Progress toward meeting Green Team goals
LEAD: Encourage collaboration and innovation in sustainability.
- Build external relations to partner with agencies outside the campus to discover and implement new methods of sustainability. (ADM C, SUST C)
- Strengthen collaboration internal to the campus to explore new methods of sustainability. (ADM C, SUST C)
- Investigate funding opportunities to support new and ongoing sustainability efforts. (SUST C)
- Number and types of partnerships, specific projects
- Number and types of collaborations, specific projects
- Listing of specific funding opportunities vetted for general and specific projects.