First-Year Seminar is the cornerstone of First-Year Experience. On the Penn State Mont Alto campus, we believe first-year seminar is valuable in preparing students, assisting with the transition from high school to college, connecting students to the campus community, and most importantly academic success and retention at the campus and university.
All new four-year degree seeking students are required to take first-year seminar.
During NSO, be certain to speak to your advisor about FYS. All FYS courses are one-credit courses taught by full-time faculty and staff.
After successfully completing this course, students will:
- Become connected with instructor, peers, campus and university;
- Adapt to college academic and social life;
- Participate in self-exploration and personal development opportunities;
- Engage with academic and student support resources both in the classroom and outside of the classroom;
- Develop strategies to leading to better course engagement; and
- Recognize the Penn State Values and how they apply to being a citizen of the University community.
"I did the Commuter Engagement Experience, and in the program I learned a lot about the culture of the school and where I could receive support and assistance." Alex Benedict