Overview and Requirements (Change of Campus)
Students currently in an Occupational Therapy Assistant program at another Penn State campus and who wish to change campuses to Mont Alto will be considered based on availability of space and curriculum compatibility. The direct approval of the Occupational Therapy Assistant Program Coordinator at the Mont Alto campus will be required. Students who plan to change from the Occupational Therapy Assistant Program at Mont Alto to one of the other Penn State Occupational Therapy Assistant programs should contact the Occupational Therapy Assistant Program Coordinator at the campus you wish to attend for information on the procedure that is to be followed for admission into that program.
Overview and Requirements (Change of Major)
Students who wish to change their major must have a cumulative collegiate grade-point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale as the minimum University requirement for change of major consideration. In general, change of major to the Occupational Therapy Assistant program oftentimes requires a substantially higher cumulative grade-point average. The number of qualified applicants typically exceeds the number of available program spaces; therefore, satisfaction of the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
The program is competitive and applicants to the program are reviewed annually in January. Therefore, students should submit a change of major application to the campus registrar by November 30 of the year PRIOR to when they wish to enter the Occupational Therapy Assistant program (i.e. November 30 2017 for entrance to Occupational Therapy courses in fall 2018). Applications received after November 30 will be reviewed on a space available basis.
In addition to a cumulative grade point average, it is recommended that all change of major applicants should have demonstrated successful completion of at least one (1) laboratory based biological and one (1) social science related course prior to the January review.
Biological and Life Sciences (choose at least one)
- BIOL161 / BIOL162 Anatomy & Physiology I
- BIOL163 / BIOL164 Anatomy & Physiology II
Social and Behavioral Sciences (choose at least one)
- PSYCH 100 General Psychology (3 cr)
- HDFS129 Introduction to Human Development and Family Studies (3 cr) or PSYCH212
Overview and Requirements (Change of Major w/ Change of Campus)
Students who are at another Penn State campus and wish to change your campus location (from another Penn State Campus to Mont Alto) AND change your major (from another major to the Occupational Therapy Assistant Program at Penn State Mont Alto) at the same time, should first follow the procedures for Change of Major students by contacting the Penn State Mont Alto registrar’s office, submitting your change of major form directly to Penn State Mont Alto and wait for a change of major decision from the Occupational Therapy Assistant Program Coordinator at Penn State Mont Alto. If approved, the student will then need to initiate a request for change of campus location by contacting the campus registrar at their current campus location – not Penn State Mont Alto.
How to Apply as a Change of Campus OR Change of Major Student
- To request a change of major, complete the online Change of Major form and submit it.
- If you requesting a change of campus AND a change of major, please follow step 1 FIRST.
- The Mont Alto Registrar’s Office will notify all students if the application has been approved by the Mont Alto OTA Program Coordinator for change of campus and/or change of major.
- If you are requesting a change of campus AND a change of major, once you have been notified by the Mont Alto Registrar’s Office that you change of major request has been approved, then you must initiate a change of campus location by contacting the campus registrar at your current campus location – not Penn State Mont Alto.