HPA and the health care industry offer students a vast array of opportunities. Since the health care industry represents nearly one-seventh of the entire U.S. economy and is still growing, job opportunities are excellent. The breadth of the industry means that almost every type of work environment can be found. HPA graduates work in all types of health care organizations from major teaching hospitals with over 1,000 beds to rural solo practice physician offices. Jobs can be found in small, not-for-profit service oriented agencies or in major, for-profit corporations.
In general HPA students are prepared to work in six types of health care organizations including:
- Health care providers (hospitals, physician practices, nursing facilities, home health agencies, etc.)
- Health insurers (nonprofit and commercial insurers, health maintenance organizations, etc.)
- Health care consulting firms
- Health care supply companies (pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, etc.)
- Health services research and policy organizations (health policy research groups, industry trade groups, etc.)
- Local, state, and federal health agencies (local health departments, state Department of Health, federal
- Department of Health and Human Services, etc.)
|2017 Median Pay||$98,350 per year
$47.29 per hour
|Typical Entry-Level Education||Bachelor's degree|
|Work Experience in a Related Occupation||Less than 5 years|
|Number of Jobs, 2016||352,200|
|Job Outlook, 2016-26||20% (Much faster than average)|
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Medical and Health Services Managers, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/medical-and-health-services-managers…;(visited July 24, 2018).
Penn State Resources
Visit the Nittany Lion Careers to access national, regional and local job listings. You may also post your resumes to the site once approved by Career Services. All students can access a free account using your PSU username and password.
Visit Penn State Mont Alto's Career Services office for additional assistance and resources.