Health Services: Emergencies

Health Services: Emergencies

The following guidelines are provided to assist students during emergency situations on campus.  These procedures have been developed to provide the most rapid response possible for each type of circumstance that you may encounter.

Serious Illness or Injury

  1. Dial 911 from the nearest telephone and request an ambulance.  When you request an ambulance the dispatcher will ask you to provide your name, the exact location of the incident and the type of illness or injury that you suspect.
  2. It is not necessary for you to contact Police Services after you place the 911 call, the dispatcher will automatically notify the duty Officer to respond to your location.
  3. If you are trained in first aid, you should begin to administer first aid only after 911 notification.  A second individual at the scene should be used to place the 911 call if possible.
  4. If you are not certain of the illness/injury type, or the extent of the illness/injury, then the circumstance is an emergency and 911 should be contacted.

Minor Illness or Injury

Students with a minor illness or injury have several service options:

  • Schedule an appointment with the campus nurse,
  • Contact Mont Alto Family Practice and schedule an appointment,
  • Have a friend drive you to the hospital or doctor's office,
  • Police Services will provide basic first aid services for minor injuries.

REMEMBER: Health Services has limited office hours, you should be familiar with these times.  Service fees are the responsibility of the student.  Residence Life staff should be notified of the incident.

Emergency Contacts from off-campus to on-campus individuals

Off-campus individuals who wish to contact students on campus to report an emergency circumstance should contact the Office of Residence Life during normal business hours.  After business hours, contact Police Services at 749-6070.  If this number is busy or unanswered, dial 762-1145.  This number will contact the Police Services dispatcher who will notify the duty Officer to relay the message.

  • Health Services: 717-749-6160
  • Mont Alto Family Practice: 717-749-3181
  • Residence Life: 717-749-6156
  • University Police: 717-749-6070