Information Technology Services provides wireless network access in all academic and administrative buildings. The wireless network has been designed to cover areas outside of most buildings to cover common seating areas such as those adjacent to the Library, Science and Technology, and Wiestling Student Center buildings, as well as Penn Gate I, Penn Gate II, and Mont Alto Hall.
You must have an active Penn State Access Account to utilize these services. In order to connect to the wireless network you must configure your device with specific settings or software, which is provided for free by the university.
Connecting to Penn State Wireless (psu)
- If you’re on the Mont Alto campus, connect to the wireless network named “psuwirelesssetup”.
- Go to the website https://www.work.psu.edu/access/dot1x/joinnow/
- Select your device/operating system and then click “Submit”
- Follow the instructions to finish setting up the connection.
- After the connection has been established, you’ll need to make sure that you’re connected to the PSU wireless network.
- At this point, you may be prompted to enter your PSU username and password. If you click the “Save user credentials” option, the computer will store the info and connect you automatically in the future. Click OK.
Visitor Wireless (psu-guest)
Visitor wireless is intended for visitors without access to Penn State wireless and runs at a slower speed than the psu network. Users with access to psu should use that network instead of psu-guest.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: My device has detected multiple wireless networks: psu-guest, psu, psuwirelesssetup, roomgear. Which one should I connect to?
Here is a list explaining the purpose of each wireless network.
- psu-guest —This is a free guest network. This network is throttled with limited connection speeds. If you have a valid Penn State Access Account, please use the "psu" wireless network.
- psu — All current Penn State Access Account holders have access to the "psu" network. For all other devices, visit https://www.work.psu.edu/access/dot1x/joinnow/.
- psuwirelesssetup —This network is used during initial configuration of your device. When connected, you can only visit https://www.work.psu.edu/access/dot1x/joinnow/, all other websites will be blocked. The wireless setup website contains connection instructions for various platforms such as iOS, Android, Windows, and OSX.
- roomgear – The roomgear network allows access in the residence halls for Smart TVs, gaming systems, and other devices that are unable to connect to the psu network.
Q: I live in a residence hall and my device is detecting wireless networks other than the three mentioned above, which one should I connect to?
If your device detects wireless networks in addition to those mentioned above, you are likely detecting wireless networks setup by your fellow students who have chosen to setup a wireless router in their dorm room. These networks may not be secure and ITS does not condone their use.
Q: I've followed all of the instructions but my device still won't connect, what should I do?
Please feel free to call, e-mail, or bring your device to the ITS HelpDesk for further assistance. Our contact information can be found on the ITS Homepage.