Guided Study Groups (GSG) are facilitated study groups that support students enrolled in first-year-friendly general education courses. GSG is not individual tutoring – they are collaborative learning environments where students work together.
How do I participate in GSG:
- GSG sessions are scheduled throughout the semester and students can attend as their schedule allows.
- GSG leaders will share session information on Canvas and during class times when possible.
- Your faculty member may share GSG session times on their syllabus or course Canvas page.
- Reserve your spot by visiting psu.mywconline.com. Reservations are not required to attend but they do help session leaders better prepare by knowing how many students to expect.
Recommendations for a Successful GSG Experience
Regular attendance and preparation are the keys to a successful GSG experience. By reading your course materials, bringing questions to help you better understand, and being willing to work with your peers in a group setting will help you get the most from the study sessions.
Please note, GSG is not an alternative to class attendance; students should still attend all course lectures and visit faculty office hours.
What are the benefits of attending GSG?
GSG sessions can help you:
- think more critically about your course material, class lectures, and homework
- gain a stronger grasp of key concepts through discussions with your peers
- identify where you need additional support in understanding and applying course concepts and theories build on foundational material and integrate newer knowledge as the content becomes more complex.
- review and prepare for quizzes and exams.
Fall 2021 courses with a GSG offering:
- ENGL 15 – 06, Ron George, lecturer
- ENGL 15E – 01, Ron George, lecturer
- HDFS 129 - 02, Barrett Scroggs, assistant professor
- ECON 102 – 02,. Hanafiah Harvey, associate professor
- MATH 4 – 03, Beth Neisser, lecturer
- MATH 21 – 02, Beth Neisser, lecturer
- PSYCH 100 – 02
When and where are the GSG sessions held?
Check psu.mywconline.com for the most up to date schedule and location of the GSG sessions.
Interested in becoming a future GSG Leader?
Students who have been successful in the course with an A or B can get a faculty recommendation to become a paid guided study group leader. For more information, contact the Academic Support Director Kendra Wolgast at [email protected].
For individual tutoring, visit the ASC scheduling website at psu.mywconline.com. If you do not see the course you need assistance with, please, schedule an appointment with our Learning Specialist.